The Windows XP Professional operating system allows users to access, set controls and permissions on what a user can see and modify. The Windows operating system contains various user-friendly tools for setting provisions the folders in the system and there are tools for managing business and home enterprises. Setting permission for different users will protect your data from being mishandled or accidentally being erased, as they will not have the permission for doing so. For setting permissions for different folders for users, follow the simple steps given below.
- Launch the Start menu by clicking on the Start button, then navigate to the Accessories option under the All Programs tab, and then click on the Windows Explorer option.
- From the opened Explorer Window, go to the folder for which you wish to alter the permission settings by browsing through the folders.
- Select the folder and right click on the folder to produce the menu and click on the Properties tab.
- Now a small popup window will appear, click on the Security tab located at the top of the Properties window to see the options.
- Now you will be able to see different users present in the system, select the user group for which you would like to alter the folder use permissions. If you wish to select your own permission, then click on your username in the Security window opened.
- To alter the permissions, go to the Permissions and Administrations tab in the window just opened and click on the check box beside Allow or Deny for setting permission for each user. If you would like to allow the user to access to all tasks, then click on Allow on every box you can see sparing the check box beside the Special Permissions tab.
- To apply the changes to your Windows XP Professional operating system, click on the Apply button and then on the OK button.
- When you press the OK button, all the changes in permissions will come to effect and the window will close.
- Now close all the open Windows once you have done altering the permissions.
If you follow all the instructions given above carefully, you will be able to change the folder permissions for different users in the system with ease.